Buying and selling a property is often the biggest financial transaction that you will make during your life. Not only that, but there is an emotional element to the process which is unlike anything else. It’s not just bricks and mortar, it’s your home; whether you are buying your first home, a bigger home as your family grows, or the “forever” home. If you’re selling, you might be selling that first home that got you on the property ladder, or the home that your children took their first steps in.
Whatever your situation, and wherever you are on your property owning journey, CMHT have a dedicated Conveyancing Department ready to help you at every step.
We have an experienced team that will guide you through the process and will be able to answer any queries you may have along the way, no matter how trivial those questions may be.
Whether you’re a first time buyer, a landlord with an extensive property portfolio, or just switching your mortgage for a better interest rate, we can help.
We offer fixed fees for Conveyancing matters based on the Sale/Purchase price or, in the case of Mortgages/Remortgages, the mortgage amount.
Below you will find a list of our fees. These do not include search fees, Land Registry fees or Stamp Duty/Land Tax fees. The searches required will depend on the type of property you are purchasing and the geographical/historical peculiarities of a particular area. The land registry fees will again depend on the property value and other factors such as the number of purchasers, whether the property is Freehold or Leasehold, registered or unregistered. The Stamp Duty or Land Tax payable will also depend on the property value, location of the property and nature of the transaction.
We have included examples of overall fees based on average values to give you an indication of total costs. When you contact us for a quote, our dedicated First Contact team will be able to provide you with a bespoke, accurate estimate of costs based on your specific requirements.
If you are dealing with a property in England, we would recommend that you visit tax.service.gov.uk to calculate the Stamp Duty implications. If the property is in Wales, visit beta.gov.wales.
We make Stamp Duty and Land Tax Returns online on your behalf to ensure efficient and timely submission of the necessary data and payment, for which there is a charge of £8.40 (£7.00 plus Vat).
Visit the Land Registry website, gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry, for a full list of Land Registry fees. Land Registry fees differ dependant on the type of application, the transaction value or value of the land.
The following fixed fees for sales, purchases and remortgages cover all work required to complete your matter including liaising with the other party’s solicitors, lenders, and estate agents. The fees cover raising and responding to pre-contract enquiries, dealing with search results, reporting to you by post or in person, exchanging contracts, completing your matter and dealing with the requirements of your lender, the Land Registry, and the relevant government bodies in relation to Stamp Duty or Land Tax.
- Selling your property
Up to £100,000 £450.00 Plus VAT of £90.00 = £540.00
£101,000 to £150,000 £475.00 Plus VAT of £95.00 = £570.00
£151,000 to £200,000 £500.00 Plus VAT of £100.00 = £600.00
£201,000 to £250,000 £525.00 Plus VAT of £105.00 = £630.00
£251,000 to £300,000 £550.00 Plus VAT of £110.00 = £660.00
£301,000 to £350,000 £575.00 Plus VAT of £115.00 = £690.00
£351,000 to £400,000 £600.00 Plus VAT of £120.00 = £720.00
£401,000 to £450,000 £625.00 Plus VAT of £125.00 = £750.00
£451,000 to £500,000 £650.00 Plus VAT of £130.00 = £780.00
£501,000 to £600,000 £700.00 Plus VAT of £140.00 = £840.00
What is involved?
- Obtaining your Title Deeds
- Asking you to complete a Property information Form and Fixtures and Fittings list, Overriding Interest Form and Utility Form.
- Preparing the Contract documents and submitting them to the Buyers’ Solicitors
- Obtaining a figure to repay your Mortgage, if applicable
- Exchanging contracts on your behalf and agreeing a completion date
- Approving the Transfer deed and obtaining your signature to it
- Completing your sale
- Repaying your Mortgage
- Re-assigning any Life Policies
- Paying your Estate Agent
- Accounting to you for any surplus due to you
Although it is difficult to provide general timescales for conveyancing matters – each matter is different – the average time from drafting the contract pack to completion of a sale is 6 to 8 weeks.
- Buying your property
Up to £100,000 £500.00 plus VAT of £100.00 = £600.00
£101,000 to £150,000 £525.00 plus VAT of £105.00 = £630.00
£151,000 to £200,000 £550.00 Plus VAT of £110.00 = £660.00
£201,000 to £250,000 £575.00 Plus VAT of £115.00 = £690.00
£251,000 to £300,000 £600.00 Plus VAT of £120.00 = £720.00
£301,000 to £350,000 £625.00 Plus VAT of £125.00 = £750.00
£351,000 to £400,000 £650.00 Plus VAT of £130.00 = £780.00
£401,000 to £450,000 £675.00 Plus VAT of £135.00 = £810.00
£451,000 to £500,000 £700.00 Plus VAT of £140.00 = £840.00
£501,000 to £600,000 £750.00 Plus VAT of £150.00 = £900.00
If the price of the property you are selling or buying exceeds £600,000, please contact us for a bespoke quotation.
What is involved?
- Obtaining Local, Water & Drainage, Environmental and Mining Searches and any other searches which are necessary in your case. Checking that the Sellers have good title to the property. Agreeing the terms of the Contract for the purchase. Receiving Mortgage Instructions (if appropriate).
- Discussing the Contract papers and Mortgage Offer with you.
- Agreeing a Completion (moving) date.
- Exchanging Contracts on your behalf.
- Making the pre-completion arrangements and checks.
- Obtaining the Mortgage funds from your Lender and any balance needed from you.
- Completing your Purchase.
- Registering your ownership at the Land Registry (which may take some weeks).
- Acting for the Lenders (if appropriate) and ensuring that their interest is properly protected.
Although it is difficult to provide general timescales for conveyancing matters – each matter is different – the average time from receipt of the contract pack to completion of a purchase is 6 to 8 weeks.
- Leasehold Properties
If the property you selling or buying is Leasehold, a supplemental Leasehold fee of £120 (£100 + VAT) will be charged to reflect the further complexities involved in dealing with Leasehold properties.
It is also important, when calculating the cost of buying or selling Leasehold properties, to consider additional fees that may be payable to the Freeholder, management companies or their agents for replies to enquiries, notices of assignment or transfer, the production of Deeds of Covenant or Certificates of Compliance. Contact us by telephone or email for more information in this regard.
- Mortgages / Remortgages
Value of new mortgage
Up to £100,000 £350.00 Plus VAT of £70.00 = £420.00
£101,000 to £200,000 £400.00 Plus VAT of £80.00 = £480.00
What is involved?
- Obtaining your title deeds
- Checking that the title is satisfactory security for your lender
- Obtaining a figure to repay your mortgage (If applicable)
- Carrying out and reviewing any property searches required by the lender
- Advising you on the details of the new mortgage
- Getting your signature to the Mortgage Deed and Transfer Deed (if applicable)
- Drawing down your mortgage funds
- Redeeming any existing mortgages
- Accounting to you for any surplus due to you
- Removing any repaid mortgages and registering the new mortgage at the Land Registry (which may take some weeks).
In most cases we aim to complete a mortgage or remortgage within 3 weeks of receiving the mortgage offer from your new lender.
- Other Services
We can assist in many other types of transactions involving property and land including, but not limited to, the following:
Purchase of Freehold Interest Right to Buy
Transfer of Equity (with or without mortgages) Equity Releases
Please contact us to discuss your requirements and we will provide you a bespoke, accurate quote.
View our examples of fees for selling or purchasing a property
If you would like a quote give our New Enquiry Team a call on 01922 646 400 or send a message from the form on the right hand side of the page.
Or if you would like to know more about our Conveyancing services please click below.